Whataburger will mark the milestone with a $100,000 donation to food banks, fun prizes for customers and employees and a celebration at two restaurants.
- Whataburger’s 1,000th location recognitions will be shared between the latest corporate Whataburger in Atlanta, Georgia, the first inside the city’s perimeter and a franchise-owned location in Yukon, Oklahoma, in a symbolic move recognizing all vital roles in the brand’s growth.
- The brand will donate a total of $100,000 to 10 food banks across its 14-state footprint.
- Grand opening celebrations at each location to include rewards and prizes, including free Whataburger-for-a-Year for the first two Guests, branded swag for the first 100 Guests.
- 1 Million App Reward Program Points: 1,000 Whataburger App Rewards Members will randomly be chosen to receive 1,000 rewards points to use toward future orders.
- Whataburger Family Members (employees) will have a chance to receive $1,000 through the brand’s employee communication app called Whatalife.
A journey of 1,000 restaurants begins with a single burger. From a roadside stand in Corpus Christi, Texas, to a cultural phenomenon, Whataburger has experienced more than seven decades of achievements. The latest milestone is the brand’s 1,000th restaurant, which will be shared between new corporate-owned Atlanta, Georgia, and franchise-owned Yukon, Oklahoma, locations, both opening on Tuesday, January 16.
The achievement will be marked with a celebration at both locations with incredible rewards and prizes for Guests including Whataburger-for-a-Year for the first two Guests and branded merchandise for the first 100 Guests.
“I want to offer a big thank you to our incredible Guests and dedicated Family Members for helping us get to this historic moment. Their unwavering loyalty and enthusiasm are the reason for our long-lasting success,” said Whataburger President and CEO Ed Nelson. “It is also through the dedication of Whataburger’s franchise partners that we have experienced such incredible growth. This is why we chose to honor not just one — but two – restaurants, a corporate and franchise-owned location, as the 1,000th location. Side by side, we are stepping into the future of this great brand together, and I’m already starting the countdown for 2,000.”
The Yukon location is owned and operated by Vibe Restaurants, a Whataburger franchise partner since 2023. This restaurant is Vibe’s second location in Oklahoma following the opening in Weatherford, Oklahoma, in the Fall of 2023. The co-location celebration represents a symbolic move recognizing the contributions of all our Franchise partners that have helped fuel recent growth that has led to the 1,000th restaurant milestone.
For those in the brand’s 14-state footprint, which will soon grow to 16 states with planned expansions in Las Vegas, Nevada, and Greenville, South Carolina, Whataburger has always been more than its signature made-to-order meals – it’s a community pillar, cooking up positive change that goes far beyond the kitchen.
“With this milestone, we are donating $100,000 to local food banks through the Whataburger Feeding Student Success program to continue our mission of spreading goodness 24/7. We are committed to providing nutritious meals to those in need but to also empower young minds, fostering their academic success and helping pave the way for a brighter, more prosperous future,” added Nelson.
Ten $10,000 donations totaling $100,000 will be made to food banks across Whataburger’s 14-state footprint, including:
● United Food Bank – Mesa, Arizona
● Northwest Arkansas Food Bank – Springdale, Arkansas
● Manna Pantries – Pensacola, Florida
● Atlanta Community Food Bank – Atlanta, Georgia
● Baton Rouge Food Bank – Baton Rouge, Louisiana
● Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee – Nashville, Tennessee
● Central Texas Food Bank – Austin, Texas
● Coastal Bend Food Bank – Corpus Christi, Texas
● South Plains Food Bank – Lubbock, Texas
● East Texas Food Bank – Tyler, Texas
The Atlanta restaurant, which will employ 100 Family Members, initially will open with 24/7 drive-thru service only, with dining room service to follow in the weeks to come. The Yukon restaurant, which will employ 100 Family Members, will open with 24/7 drive-thru and dining room service.
In the following weeks, both restaurants will extend their services to include mobile ordering, curbside pickup and delivery.
Whataburger serves up Goodness 24/7. Our original recipes are made to order, just like you like it, and we pride ourselves on extraordinary hospitality and meaningful connections in our communities. That’s what’s led fans to Whataburger since Harmon Dobson served our first customer in 1950. Headquartered in San Antonio, we’ve stayed close to our roots while building sales of more than $3 billion annually across our 14-state footprint and 1,000 restaurants. Even with our exceptional menu, we know that people make the difference at Whataburger. That’s why we’re among QSR Magazine’s Best Brands to Work For in 2023 and consistently win culture excellence awards, including Top Workplaces 2023. Want to become part of our orange spirit? Apply to become a Family Member (what we call our employees) at whataburger.com/careers. Just hungry for a great meal? Download our app on ios or android to order ahead. Shop Whataburger branded merchandise and selected sauces including our famous Fancy and Spicy Ketchup at WhataStore.com and find Whataburger original-recipe products in grocery stores. See our press kit for a list of locations, fun facts, milestones and other company information.