|The statewide gas price average in Texas is $2.75 for a gallon of regular unleaded fuel, according to the AAA Texas Weekend Gas Watch. That price is four cents less than on this day last week and is 22 cents less per gallon compared to this day last year. Of the major metropolitan areas surveyed in Texas, drivers in the Bryan/College Station area are paying the most on average at $2.92 per gallon while drivers in Abilene are paying the least at $2.60 per gallon. The national average price for a gallon of regular unleaded is $3.28, which is six cents less when compared to this day last week and 36 cents less than the price per gallon at this same time last year.
The 3.7 million Texas drivers hitting the road for Thanksgiving will be thankful to fill up with the cheapest gas prices in the nation. While price fluctuations have occurred in some markets, lower crude oil prices and healthy supply are pushing fuel prices lower in the Lone Star State. AAA Texas projects a 1 percent increase in road travel this Thanksgiving compared to 2022.
“Texas drivers can be thankful for the lowest gas prices of any state in the nation,” said Daniel Armbruster, spokesperson for AAA Texas. “Not only does Texas boast the lowest gas prices, but regular unleaded is 22 cents lower than last Thanksgiving.”
Not only are gas prices cheaper this Thanksgiving, but hotels and rental car price averages are lower this Thanksgiving. Good news for the four million Texans traveling 50 miles or more this Thanksgiving.
“Thanksgiving is one of the more popular holidays for people to travel to see family and friends so they can take part in annual traditions like turkey dinners and Black Friday shopping,” said Galen Grillo, Vice President and General Manger for AAA Texas. “Travel demand has been strong all year, and AAA’s Thanksgiving travel forecast reflects people’s ongoing desire to get away and spend time with their loved ones.”
Holiday Booking Prices
This holiday season, travelers are generally paying less for domestic trips compared to last year and more for international vacations. The one exception is airfare, which is slightly more expensive for domestic flights this season and a bit lower for international flights. Here’s a breakdown of average booking prices for November and December, according to AAA data.
- The average price for a domestic flight is $681, up 5% from 2022.
- The average price for an international flight is $1,231, down 5.7% from last year.
- The average price for a domestic hotel stay is $598, down 12% from 2022.
- The average price for an international hotel stay is $772, up 5% from last year.
- The average price for a domestic rental car reservation is $590, down 20% from 2022.
- The average price for an international rental car reservation is $696, up 9% from last year.
- The average price for a domestic cruise is $1,507, down 12% compared to 2022.
- The average price for an international cruise is $2,902, up 24% from last year.
- The average price for a domestic tour is $1,058, down 15% compared to 2022.
- The average price for an international tour is $1,208, up 21% from last year.
Prices up to date at press time using market prices posted at 3:41 a.m. Motorists can find current gas prices along their route with the free and revamped AAA App for iPhone, iPad and Android. The app can also be used to map a route and learn traffic conditions along that route, find discounts, locate parking, book a hotel and request and track AAA roadside assistance. Learn more at www.AAA.com/mobile.