Skip to content

CenterPoint Energy encourages customers to conserve natural gas during the extreme cold

Houston – Dec. 23, 2022 – CenterPoint Energy remains focused on providing safe, reliable service to its customers as the arctic cold front impacts the area. With temperatures dropping substantially, the company has experienced record natural gas usage on its natural gas system.

“Our natural gas system is operating well under these extreme circumstances. As everyone is trying to keep warm, we are experiencing record usage of natural gas and in order to prevent service interruptions, we ask our customers to conserve energy at this time,” said Tal Centers, CenterPoint Energy’s Vice President, Texas Gas.

Centers added, “We encourage customers to be especially mindful of their pool heater usage. One pool heater uses as much natural gas as four residential homes. Customers can keep their pumps on without the heater to prevent their pool water from freezing.”

CenterPoint Energy offers these additional energy-saving tips for customers:

  • Check your furnace filter. Change or clean the filter to ensure good air flow, which is essential for the efficiency of your furnace.
  • Keep curtains and blinds open during the day to allow the sun’s natural heat to warm your house. Close curtains and blinds at night so you don’t lose heat when the sun goes down. Also, set your ceiling fans to turn clockwise to circulate warm air.
  • Make your home more airtight to keep warm air in and cold air out. Use caulk or weather-stripping to seal leaks around doors, windows and other openings such as pipes or ducts. Close fireplace dampers when not in use so you don’t lose heat.
  • Be mindful of your pool heater usage. You can keep your pumps on without the heater to prevent your pool water from freezing.

CenterPoint Energy also provides a safety reminder in case of a suspected natural gas leak. If you smell the “rotten egg” odor of natural gas, immediately leave on foot, go to a safe location and call both 911 and CenterPoint Energy at 888-876-5786. Don’t use electric switches or outlets, phones (including cell phones), drive or start a car inside or close to the location, or do anything that could cause a spark.

For more energy-saving tips, visit

Leave a Comment