Oct. 5 is Energy Efficiency Day
CenterPoint Energy reminds customers of ways to save energy and money
Houston – Oct. 4, 2022 – CenterPoint Energy is joining in the national celebration of Energy Efficiency Day on Oct. 5 by promoting energy efficiency as one of the easiest, quickest ways for customers to reduce their energy use, lower their utility bills and limit their carbon footprint.
“At CenterPoint Energy, we’re committed to working with our customers so they can be more energy efficient,” said Gregg Knight, Executive Vice President, Customer Transformation and Business Services. “With energy costs expected to rise this winter mainly due to the higher market price of natural gas, efficiency takes on even greater importance, and we are here to help.”
The higher market price of natural gas has resulted from various factors, including increased demand and production that has not ramped up at the same pace. CenterPoint Energy neither controls nor profits from the market price of natural gas – the costs are passed through without mark-up – and it implements practices aimed at cushioning customers from the changing market.
Customers are encouraged to take advantage of energy efficiency tips, offerings and resources to help save energy and money year-round. CenterPoint Energy offers these simple energy efficiency tips for the upcoming winter heating season:
- Make sure your heating system is operating safely and efficiently with an annual tune-up by a qualified technician. Check your furnace filter monthly and clean or change it as needed to help your unit run at full efficiency and supply better air flow.
- Use a programmable thermostat to match your household’s schedule by automatically lowering the heating temperature at night or while you’re away from home. It can maximize your energy savings without the hassle of manually adjusting your thermostat.
- Caulk and weather strip around windows and doors to keep warm air from escaping and cold air from entering. These two simple air sealing techniques can pay for themselves in energy savings within one year.
- Keep curtains and blinds open during the day to allow the sun’s heat to warm your house. Close curtains and blinds at night so you don’t lose heat when the sun goes down.
- Look for the ENERGY STAR® label when shopping for a new appliance to help you get a product that meets high efficiency standards.
More energy-saving tips and tools are available at CenterPointEnergy.com/EnergySavingTips.
About CenterPoint Energy
As the only investor-owned electric and gas utility based in Texas, CenterPoint Energy, Inc. (NYSE: CNP) is an energy delivery company with electric transmission and distribution, power generation and natural gas distribution operations that serve more than 7 million metered customers in Indiana, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Ohio and Texas. As of June 30, 2022, the company owned approximately $35 billion in assets. With approximately 8,900 employees, CenterPoint Energy and its predecessor companies have been in business for more than 150 years. For more information, visit CenterPointEnergy.com.