Local Marshall resident sells car collection for $24M
RM SOTHEBY’S SELLS 100% OF LOTS FOR OVER 24 MILLION DOLLARS IN THREE-DAY GENE PONDER COLLECTION SALE
Over one thousand lots sold at the private auction in Marshall, Texas
BLENHEIM, Ontario (27 September 2022) – RM Sotheby’s traveled to Marshall, Texas, to host the auction of The Gene Ponder Collection. The sale was a complete success with 100% of lots sold for a grand total of $24,315,416 over a three-day private auction. Over 1,100 lots crossed the block, selling to bidders onsite, over the phone, and online.
- Thursday’s auction saw 491 lots go under the hammer and brought over $1M, with a Pegasus Neon and Bugatti Children’s Car being highlights as they both smashed their pre-sale estimates and bringing $19,550 each.
- Friday’s auction saw 455 lots bring nearly $1.3M, with the Arnolt-Bristol Engine on Running Engine Stand being the top lot of the day at $57,500.
- Saturday’s auction saw 217 lots sell, 126 cars and 91 lots of memorabilia. The day brought over $22M, with the 1960 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Roadster being the top lot at $1,595,000.
- Two lots sold for over $1M
- Eight lots sold for over $500K
- 53 lots sold for over $100K
- 977 registered bidders
- 51% of buyers were first-time bidders
- Bidders hailed from 31 countries and 46 states
- 283 bidders or 29% were from Texas
Top 10 lots
- 1960 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Roadster $1,595,000 USD
- 1938 Bugatti Type 57SC Atlantic Recreation by Erik Koux $1,155,000 USD
- 1967 Ferrari 330 GTC by Pininfarina $797,500 USD
- 1952 Ferrari 212 Barchetta in the style of Touring $792,000 USD
- 1960 Maserati 3500 GT Spyder by Vignale $770,000 USD
- 1954 Aston Martin DB2/4 Drophead Coupe by Graber $687,500 USD
- 1974 Ferrari 246 Dino GTS ‘Chairs & Flares’ by Scaglietti $632,500 USD
- 1933 Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Corto Spider Recreation by Pur Sang $627,000 USD
- 1959 Ferrari 250 GT Coupe by Pinin Farina $489,500 USD
- 1949 Alfa Romeo 6C 2500 Super Sport Cabriolet by Pinin Farina $440,000 USD
Thatcher Keast, Auction Coordinator, RM Sotheby’s, said, “The Gene Ponder Collection was a unique and incredible opportunity for a buyer to come experience the passion of Mr. Ponder firsthand at his estate. Bidders onsite could see that every aspect of this property revolves around the vehicles, the memorabilia, and Mr. Ponder’s love for all things automotive. We are thrilled that Mr. Ponder chose RM Sotheby’s to execute a sale of this magnitude and as a team, RM Sotheby’s knew we would deliver the best possible results for him. The sale was extraordinary, and we are extremely happy with the results we achieved for Mr. Ponder.
Gene Ponder stated, “I am so impressed with RM Sotheby’s. They have so much pride in what they do, and they will put in as much effort into a $500 lot as a $5M lot. The RM Sotheby’s team has spent thousands of hours onsite ensuring the sale would be a success, and the results of the auction reflect the effort and passion of everyone at RM Sotheby’s.”
FOR MORE NEWS FROM RM SOTHEBY’S: #RMSothebys #RMPonder
About RM Sotheby’s
RM Sotheby’s is the world’s largest collector car auction house by total sales. With over 40 years of proven results in the collector car industry, RM’s vertically integrated range of services, from auctions (live and online) and private sales to estate planning and financial services, coupled with an expert team of Car Specialists and an international footprint, provide an unsurpassed level of service to the global collector car market. RM Sotheby’s is currently responsible for seven of the top ten most valuable motor cars ever sold at auction.
Forest Casey ©2022 Courtesy of RM Sotheby’s