You already know … Planning for a disaster when a disaster is heading your way isn’t ideal and could be too late. You need to prepare now. Here are some easy steps:
- Install a weather app on your phone. Turn on notifications or check it before bad weather to know what’s headed your way.
- Make an inventory of the stuff in your house. Email it to yourself or keep it somewhere else online. Include item model and serial numbers. Take photos or videos of each room in your house, including closets and drawers. If you need to file a claim, the list and photos will help.
- Pack a “go bag” of supplies you can grab if you need to leave in a hurry. Include water, food, clothes, chargers, medicines, and pet supplies. Have copies of your home, auto, and health insurance cards.
- Consider buying flood insurance. Your home insurance policy doesn’t cover flood damage; you need a separate flood policy. Most flood policies have a 30-day waiting period before you can file a claim.
- Check that your insurance policies are up to date and provide enough coverage. Your coverage limits might be too low if you’ve built onto your house or bought new furniture or electronics.
Have a question about insurance? Call the Texas Department of Insurance at 800-252-3439 or visit www.tdi.texas.gov.