Skip to content

Best Western motel fire in Kilgore ruled accidental

By Bill Woodall

The fire which levelled Kilgore’s Best Western motel has been ruled accidental.

Mark Moore, Gregg County fire marshal, said Wednesday morning the fire was electrical in origin, starting in an air conditioner on the second floor.

Kilgore fire Department was dispatched at 7:45 p.m. June 13 to the blaze which would also be attacked by neighboring departments including Kilgore Rescue, Sabine Fire and Rescue, Crim’s Chapel, Longview, Overton, Elderville and Smith County ESD 2. Fire fighters were on the scene until well into the morning of June 14.

All guests and occupants escaped safely.

No plans for the property have been publicly announced but city ordinance requires the owner to submit their plans by early September. According to Gregg county Appraisal District records, the property is owned by Kilgore LAXMI LLC of Longview.

Leave a Comment