Dr. Brenda Kays appointed to Texas Commission on Community College Finance
Kilgore College President Dr. Brenda Kays has been appointed to the Texas Commission on Community College Finance – announced Thursday by Speaker of the Texas House of Representatives, Dade Phelan.
In the announcement, Rep. Gary VanDeaver and Rep. Oscar Longoria were also named to the committee by Phelan.
“Representatives VanDeaver and Longoria and Dr. Kays have demonstrated a passion in improving student outcomes that align with the state’s postsecondary goals,” Phelan said.
“I am confident they will excel with the commission’s important objectives regarding funding for public junior colleges and how these funds will create a lasting impact on Texas students.”
VanDeaver is the State Representative for House District 1 who serves as a member of the Appropriations Committee, Appropriations Subcommittee for Article III, and the Public Education Committee.
Kays is in her sixth year as president of KC, having previously served as president of Stanly Community College (N.C.) and vice president at Guilford Technical Community College (N.C.).
“It is a distinct honor to be named to this commission, and I am extremely thankful to Rep. Phelan for providing me with this opportunity to hone community college funding recommendations for consideration by the 88th Texas Legislature,” Kays said.
“The work of this commission is crucial due to its potential significance for the 50 community colleges in Texas. Our ability to drive economic and workforce development, as well as provide pipelines of access into the state’s premier university systems, will be impacted by the work of this commission.”
The Texas Commission on Community College Finance is tasked with making recommendations for consideration by 88th Texas Legislature regarding the state funding formula and funding levels for public junior colleges in Texas that would be sufficient to sustain viable junior college education and training offerings throughout the state and improve student outcomes in alignment with postsecondary goals.
Texas Commission on Community College Finance Committee:
- Presiding Officer: Woody Hunt, Senior Chairman, Hunt Companies
- The Honorable Brandon Creighton, Texas Senate
- Dr. Mark Escamilla, President, Del Mar College
- Dr. Stephen Head, Chancellor, Lone Star College
- Dr. Brenda Hellyer, Chancellor, San Jacinto College
- Brian Jones, Director, Professional Learning, Odessa College
- Dr. Brenda Kays, President, Kilgore College
- The Honorable Oscar Longoria, Texas House of Representatives
- Carol Scott, Chair, Del Mar College Board of Regents
- The Honorable Larry Taylor, Texas Senate
- The Honorable Gary VanDeaver, Texas House of Representatives
- Todd Williams, CEO, The Commit Partnership
SHARE THIS ON SOCIAL MEDIA!