The public is invited to attend the 11 a.m. Saturday, May 17, unveiling of two historical plaques at one of Longview’s oldest structures.
The 135-year-old Rembert-Harrison house, 316 S. Fredonia St., located just south of downtown, will receive an Official Texas Historic Marker from the Texas Historical Commission as well as a National Register of Historic Places plaque from the U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service.
Participating in the May 17 ceremony will be county officials and representatives from the Gregg County Historical Commission.
The one-story, Queen Anne-style residence, also known as the Frank Taylor Rembert and Kate Womack Rembert House, was built between 1877 and 1879. The house has remained in continuous ownership of the Rembert-Harrison family since its purchase in 1879. Today the house is owned and maintained by John Womack Harrison Jr.
Frank Taylor Rembert, a prominent Longview businessman, married Kate Womack in 1878 and bought the house a year later from J.W. and Mary Bateman.
The Texas Historical Commission in Austin approves state historical markers. Gregg County is home to more than 100 Official Texas Historical Markers denoting people, places and events of historical significance. The Gregg County Historical Commission, whose members are appointed by the county just and commissioners court, oversees the county’s historic preservation program.
The National Register of Historic Places designation is only the fifth such designation for Gregg County. Others are the Everett Building, 214 N. Fredonia; the Whaley House, 101 E. Whaley; Nuggett Hill Historic District, located south of Marshall Avenue; and the Northcutt House, 313 S. Fredonia. The latter sits across the street from the Rembert-Harrison house.
According to National Register officials, the Rembert-Harrison house is “an unusual local example of multiple architectural styles popular at the turn of the twentieth century.”
For more information about the May 17 marker dedications, contact David Harrison at 917-348-9227.