Man jailed in connection with fatal shooting at Gilmer High School
Sep 27, 2013 | 13567 views | 0 0 comments | 43 43 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Mirror Photos<br>
LAW ENFORCEMENT officials investigate the crime scene at a GHS parking lot Thursday night.
Mirror Photos
LAW ENFORCEMENT officials investigate the crime scene at a GHS parking lot Thursday night.
A 32-year-old Gilmer man was arrested Friday on charges of murdering a 29-year-old Gilmer woman whose body was found in the parking lot of Gilmer High School Thursday night, police said.

Jonathan Ray Shepherd remained in Upshur County Jail on $1 million bond Friday on charges of killing Cheyenne Green, whose body was discovered with an apparent gunshot wound, authorities said. "The offense apparently stemmed from domestic violence" and no other suspects are believed to be involved in the case, Gilmer police Investigator Roxanne Warren said in a news release.

City police were dispatched to the scene about 9:15 p.m. Thursday, said Investigator Warren, and "Witnesses reported seeing a white female lying on the ground near a vehicle. After further investigation, the female was confirmed to be deceased."

Upshur County District Attorney Billy Byrd said an autopsy was performed at Southeast Texas Forensic Center near Tyler on Friday, but declined to disclose its preliminary findings on cause of death.

Byrd said Gilmer police arrested Shepherd without incident in the city before midnight Thursday and that the suspect's pickup was impounded, but Mrs. Warren said the arrest was made Friday. 115th District Judge Lauren Parish, who issued the arrest warrant, arraigned and set bond on Shepherd Friday morning, authorities said.

The county sheriff's office and Texas Department of Public Safety joined police in the investigation, Ms. Warren reported. She said no faculty or students were involved nor injured in the incident, and Byrd said it had nothing to do with the school.

He and Gilmer ISD superintendent Rick Albritton also said the incident was unrelated to 7th and 8th grade football games between Gladewater and Gilmer going on at nearby Buckeye Stadium. Albritton said the time of the incident had been determined to be 9 p.m., right after halftime of the 8th grade game.

Byrd declined to say whether either Ms. Green or Shepherd had attended the contests. Albritton said he did not know, but that police had interviewed "a lot of people that went to the game."

Albritton meantime said school went on as normal in Gilmer Friday and that the Gilmer-Gladewater varsity football game scheduled at Buckeye Stadium Friday night would proceed as scheduled.

He said school officials "tried to maintain some sense of normalcy 'cause it (the slaying) had nothing to do with the school."

Albritton also said law enforcement authorities released the scene about 6 a.m. Friday to the school district, which had a hazardous materials crew clean the parking lot before it was opened about 10:30 or 11 a.m. for student parking.

The body was about midway between the western end of Gilmer High School and the school gymnasium, and was several feet in front of the band hall. The parking lot where it occurred is near and southwest of Buckeye Stadium, but is not the parking area closest to the facility.

Upshur County Precinct 1 Justice of the Peace W.V. Ray pronounced Ms. Green dead at the scene, Byrd said.

Gilmer Police Department releases details of homicide at Gilmer High School Thursday night

On September 26, 2013 at approximately 9:15 pm Gilmer Police were dispatched to the parking lot of the Gilmer High School. Witnesses reported seeing a white female lying on the ground near a vehicle. After further investigation the female was confirmed to be deceased. The female victim has been identified as Cheyenne Green 29 year old female from Gilmer, Texas. The initial investigation, which was conducted by members of the Gilmer Police, Upshur County Sheriff’s Office and the Department of Public Safety, revealed that Ms. Green has suffered from one apparent gunshot wound. Her body has been taken to Southeast Texas Forensic Center in Tyler, Texas for autopsy. The official cause of death and extent of her injuries have not yet been determined.

One suspect is now in the custody at the Upshur County Jail related to the death of Cheyenne Green. No other suspects are believed to be involved in this offense. No students or faculty from Gilmer High School were involved or injured in this incident. The offense apparently stemmed from domestic violence.

The suspect's name is not being released at this time pending arraignment by an Upshur County Judge which is expected to take place sometime on September 27, 2013.

Roxanne Warren

Sgt. Investigator

Gilmer Police Department
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet