New assessment test now required for most students entering college
A new state placement exam is now required to test a student’s skills in the academic areas of math, reading and writing for college-readiness. The new test, the TSI Assessment, is required for most students.
The exam is available by appointment weekly on the Kilgore and Longview campuses.
Students planning to enroll in the upcoming semester are strongly encouraged to test as early as possible.
Students must complete the application for admission at least 48 hours prior to scheduling a testing appointment. The test is untimed but will range from one to five hours to complete.
Students are required to complete a pre-assessment activity prior to testing and must provide proof of such activity upon arrival to test.
The cost of the full exam is $40 or $20 for a part of the exam.
Links to both the pre-assessment activity and the TSI exemptions are available on the Kilgore testing center Web page at www.kilgore.edu/testing.asp.
For information on testing in Kilgore call (903) 983-8215.
For information on testing in Longview call (903) 236-2051.
TSI Exemptions (full and partial exemptions):
(Students who qualify for full exemptions will not have to take any of the TSI Assessment. Students who have a partial exemption will be required to take the portion of the TSI Assessment that they did not meet the standards on.)
· You have met the qualifying standards on the ACT, SAT, SAT I or the TAKS listed below:
· ACT - Composite score of 23 or higher combined with a minimum of 19 on both the English and/or Mathematics sub-tests
· SAT – a combined score of 1070 combined with a minimum of 500 on the math and/or Critical Reading sub-tests
· TAKS – 2200 in math and/or 2200 with a writing sub-score of at least 3 in English/Language Arts
· ACT and SAT scores may be no more than 5 years old and TAKS Scores no older than three years
· You have graduated with an Associate or baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education
· You are transferring from a private or independent institution or an accredited out-of-state institution of higher education and have successfully completed college-level coursework as described by the receiving institution
· You are a student who has previously attended any institution and have been determined to have met readiness standards by that institution
· You are active-duty military personnel serving as a member in the United States Armed Forces, National Guard, or as a member of the reserve component of the armed forces of the US an have been serving for at least three years preceding enrollment
· You are a student who on or after Aug. 1, 1990 was honorably discharged, retired, or released from active duty as a member of the armed forces of the US or the Texas National Guard or service as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States
· You are a non-degree seeking or non-certificate seeking student
· You are a student who is enrolled in a certificate program of one year or less (level-one, 42 or fewer semester credit hours or the equivalent) at a public junior college, a public technical institute, or a public state college