Historic Post Oak C.M.E. church
dedicates historical marker Jan. 12
One of Gregg County’s historic churches will dedicate an Official Texas Historical Marker 10:30 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 12, and the public is invited.
Post Oak Christian Methodist Episcopal Church, located at 2675 FM 2906 southeast of Lakeport, traces its history to 1878 when a group of African-Americans formed a log cabin church near the community of Easton.
Among those participating in the Jan. 12 marker dedication will be Gregg County Judge Bill Stoudt, Post Oak pastor Rev. Wayne W. Mayes, former pastor Rev. C.E. Mitchell, marker sponsor Ruby Portley and Crystal D. Lewis, a fifth-generation descendant of a founder of the church. A reception will be held in the church’s fellowship hall following the event.
Founders of what first was called Post Oak Colored Methodist Episcopal Church were Jeff Portley, Jessie Daniels Sr. and Daniel Bradford. The log cabin eventually gave way for a small wooden structure. Several acres were bought from County Judge E.M. Bramlette in 1912 and a frame building was erected in the late 1930s, later replaced by a larger structure.
Community growth allowed the church to eventually construct a modern brick building on the site. The church changed its name in May 1954 to Post Oak Christian Methodist Episcopal Church.
According to the new historical marker, Post Oak church “serves as a reminder of the history and heritage of a community and church created by African-American landowners and residents of Easton and Gregg County.”
The Texas Historical Commission in Austin gives final approval of state historical markers.
Gregg County is home to more than 100 Official Texas Historical Markers denoting people, places and events of historical significance.
The Gregg County Historical Commission, whose members are appointed by the county judge and commissioners court, oversees the county’s historic preservation program. Working with Post Oak officials to obtain the marker was the local historical commission’s research and marker committee chaired by Gem Meacham.
To reach Post Oak C.M.E. church from Longview, take Texas 149 (Estes Parkway) through Lakeport and turn left on FM 2906 (Easton Road).
For more information about the Jan. 12 marker unveiling, contact Ruby Portley at 903-643-7370.