Due to the low turnout for registration we need to run another day of registration.
Date: 10 November, 9:AM to 4: PM.
Location: State Guard Armory 2520 E. Commerce, Tyler, TX
This will be the last date we can register to get people help with toys for Christmas. If possible we need to get the info to every radio and tv station in the area as well as the paper. If you can help it would be appreciated. I will try to get the word out to churches to make their people aware of the situation.
From Better Business Bureau of Central East Texas:
It is that time of the year again as Smith County Toys for Tots begins accepting registrations for this year’s toy drive.
“Since 1947, Toys for Tots has provided toys for hundreds of thousands of underserved children”, said Larry Adkins, Toys for Tots Coordinating Officer. “It is the generosity of the local community, however, that makes it a success each year.”
Applicants who register children must be the parent or legal guardian of the child. The following documents must also be provided at registration:
- Valid picture ID.
- Proof of residence Smith County i.e., Utility bill, etc.
- Birth certificates of children to be registered.
- Court issued legal document identifying legal guardian (if guardian is registering child).
In addition, a valid mailing address and phone number for applicants to facilitate contact with the applicants may be required.
Toys for Tots is the largest outreach program in the Department of Defense and began in 1947 when Maj. Bill Hendricks, a Marine reservist living in California, worked with other Marines to donate toys to children in the local area. Toys for Tots Smith County was initiated by the Rose City Detachment (#1354) of the Marine Corps League in 2007 and has provided toys to over 8,000 children.
Individuals wanting to donate an unwrapped toy to the charity may do so beginning November 1 at any of the following locations:
- Better Business Bureau (Old Bullard Rd.)
- Comfort Inn (S. Broadway)
- Chick Fil A (Troup Hwy. and S. Broadway locations)
- Toys R Us
- Wal-Mart (Hwy. 64, Troup Hwy., S. Broadway, and Lindale Locations)
- Walgreens (Broadway/ 5th, Hwy. 110/Loop 323, and S. Broadway locations)
For more information or to volunteer, please contact Larry Adkins at 903-894-6764 or email@example.com.