Volleyball sweeps weekend after 3-0 win over Midwestern State – LINK
WICHITA FALLS– The Texas A&M University-Commerce volleyball team got its second consecutive conference road win after sweeping Midwestern State 3-0 on Saturday. The set scores were 25-17, 25-19 and 25-22.
The win brings the Lions to 8-7 on the season and 4-2 in the Lone Star Conference. The Mustangs fall to 8-7 and 3-4 in conference play.
The Lions will play their final non-conference match of the regular season as they travel to face Southeastern Oklahoma State on Tuesday. The match will begin at 6 p.m. at the Bloomer Sullivan Gymnasium in Durant, Okla. The match will be the final match of a five-game road trip for the Lions.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Shelley Chapron led the Lions with 13 kills, hitting .500 for the match. She hit .444 with five kills in the first set and had six kills in the final set. She also had seven blocks.
- Mariyah Oliver had eight kills and five blocks.
- Jaryn Wacker and Jaslyn Wacker had five kills and three blocks apiece. Neka Nelson also had five kills.
- Savannah Rutledge led the team with 14 digs. Layne Little and Gabriela Rosa added 11 digs apiece.
- Little had four kills while Rosa led the team with 18 assists. Rylie Fuentes added 14 assists and eight digs. Lacie Jessup had nine digs.
- The Lions hit .216 in the match while holding MSU to a .114 hitting percentage. The Lions had seven aces and 11 blocks.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Lions jumped to a quick lead in the first set, scoring four points in a row to take a 4-1 lead. The teams traded short rallies early in the match as the Lions held a 9-8 lead. A&M-Commerce then went on a rally to take their largest lead of the set, a 15-10 advantage. The Lions built their lead behind the swinging of Chapron, who had five kills in the set. The Lions took the first set 25-17, ending the set on a four-point rally. Oliver and Jaryn Wacker each had three kills in the set.
The teams split the first 14 points as neither team held a lead of more than two points early. After trailing 7-5, the Lions went on a four point rally to take a 9-7 lead. The teams continued to battle and the set was tied at 14-all. With the score tied at 15, A&M-Commerce took four of the next five points to take their largest lead of the set. It was a balanced attack for the Lions as six different players tallied kills in the second set. The Lions continued their late rally and took the second set 25-19.
The Mustangs started the third set on a tear, scoring six of the first nine points. The Lions then went on a three-point rally to tie the set at 6-all. The teams continued to battle back-and-forth as MSU held a 13-12 lead at the halfway point. MSU built its lead back up to three points before back-to-back blocks from Chapron and Oliver tied the set at 18-all. Chapron also had three kills as the Lions took their first lead of the set. It was part of a Lion rally that saw A&M-Commerce take seven of eight points to lead 22-19. The Lions took the third set 25-22, sweeping the match.
Lion Athletics Mission: Committed to a "Best in Class" student-athlete experience
Connect with us on our Lions’ Den Social Stream.