Volleyball sweeps Southeastern Oklahoma State to get third consecutive road win – LINK
DURANT, Okla.– The Texas A&M University-Commerce volleyball team got a 3-0 sweep of Southeastern Oklahoma State on Tuesday. The set scores were 25-13, 25-16 and 25-18.
The win brings the Lions to 9-7 on the season. It is A&M-Commerce's third consecutive road victory. The Savage Storm fall to 5-13 on the year.
The Lions will now host two conference home matches over the weekend. The Lions will face Eastern New Mexico at 5 p.m. on Friday and Western New Mexico on Saturday at 2 p.m. The matches will be played at the Field House.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Jaslyn Wacker led the Lions with 14 kills. She hit .550 on the match. She also had four blocks and three digs.
- Jaryn Wacker had eight kills and hit .438. She also had two blocks.
- Mariyah Oliver had six kills and hit .417 in the match. Shelley Chapron had five kills and hit .400.
- Rylie Fuentes led the Lions with 23 assists and added nine digs. Gabriela Rosa had 15 assists, six digs and two aces.
- Savannah Rutledge led the team with 13 digs. She also had two aces.
- Layne Little had four kills. Preston Lienemann and Sydney Reyes both had two kills while Rutledge, Payton McMillan and Neka Nelson also had a kill apiece.
- The Lions' top four hitters all hit better than .400.
HOW IT HAPPENED
After giving up the first two points of the match, the Lions then took seven of the next eight points to build a lead in the first set. Three attack errors aided the Lion cause as Jaslyn Wacker had three kills of her own to help the Lions build their lead to 14-7 halfway through the set. Jaslyn Wacker had three consecutive kills as the Lion attack caught fire in the late stages of the set. Jaryn Wacker also had three kills in the set as the Lions cruised to a 25-13 win in the first set.
The teams traded points early in the second set, with the scored tied at 4-all early in the set. The Lions then went on a run. They had rallies of four and five consecutive points to build a 13-6 lead at the midway point of the second set. Jaslyn Wacker continued to have the hot hand as she had four kills in a row for A&M-Commerce. SOSU had two runs of three consecutive points in the second set but the Lions answered back both times to run away with the second set, winning 25-16.
The third set was close to begin with. The teams traded the first 18 points as the set was tied at 9-all. SOSU then had a three-point rally to take their largest lead of the match at 12-9. However, the Lions finished the set well. On a four-point rally, they retook the lead and then had another four-point rally to take a three-point lead. Things began to snowball against SOSU as the Lions scored six of the final seven points of the match. Rosa had an ace on the final serve to give the Lions the set win and the sweep.
Lion Athletics Mission: Committed to a "Best in Class" student-athlete experience