TYLER — It is that time of the year again as Smith County Toys for Tots begins accepting registrations for this year’s toy drive.
“Since 1947, Toys for Tots has provided toys for hundreds of thousands of underserved children”, said Larry Adkins, Toys for Tots Coordinating Officer. “It is the generosity of the local community, however, that makes it a success each year.”
Registration to receive toys will take place on Friday, October 26, and Saturday, October 27, from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. at the Old Texas Guard Armory 2520 E. Commerce St. in Tyler.
Applicants who register children must be the parent or legal guardian of the child. The following documents must also be provided at registration:
- Valid picture ID.
- Proof of residence Smith County i.e.,Utility bill, etc.
- Birth certificates of children to be registered.
- Court issued legal document identifying legal guardian (if guardian is registering child).
In addition, a valid mailing address and phone number for applicants to facilitate contact with the applicants may be required.
Toys for Tots is the largest outreach program in the Department of Defense and began in 1947 when Maj. Bill Hendricks, a Marine reservist living in California, worked with other Marines to donate toys to children in the local area. Toys for Tots Smith County was initiated by the Rose City Detachment (#1354) of the Marine Corps League in 2007 and has provided toys to over 8,000 children.
Individuals wanting to donate an unwrapped toy to the charity may do so beginning November 1 at any of the following locations:
- Better Business Bureau (Old Bullard Rd.)
- Comfort Inn (S. Broadway)
- Chick Fil A (Troup Hwy. and S. Broadway locations)
- Toys R Us
- Wal-Mart (Hwy. 64, Troup Hwy., S. Broadway, and Lindale Locations)
- Walgreens (Broadway/ 5th, Hwy. 110/Loop 323, and S. Broadway locations)
For more information or to volunteer, please contact Larry Adkins at 903-894-6764 or firstname.lastname@example.org.