It’s the outcome of a study done last year.
The New Diana ISD Board of Trustees charged a special Steering Committee in September 2013, to study the facility needs and to develop a long-range facility improvement plan for the New Diana Independent School District.
On Feb. 13, the Committee made a recommendation to the Board, and on Feb. 20, the Board in a unanimous vote, approved calling for a bond election to be held on May 10, in the amount of $15 million.
If approved by voters, the bonds will be used to finance the following:
• An Expansion of the Hunt Elementary School to house Pre-K through 5th Grade.
• A New Athletic/Physical Education/Gymnasium Facility.
• Additions and Renovations to the High School.
• Demolition of vacated spaces (i.e. existing Intermediate that currently houses 4th and 5th grade).
• Administrative Space.
If approved by voters, the tax rate increase required will not exceed 37 cents, a news release from the district said.
“The average New Diana ISD homeowner can expect to pay $30.82 more in taxes per month based on the average home value $99,962. There will be no tax increase above the frozen level on the homestead of taxpayers 65 years of age and older who have applied for and received the age 65 freeze,” the release said.
Early Voting from April 28 to May 6 will be available during the hours of 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.at the New Diana ISD Administration Building at 1373 US 259 South, Diana.
Election Day is Saturday, May 10, and the entire District shall constitute one election precinct for this election at the New Diana ISD Administration Building, 1373 U.S. 259 South, Diana, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
Additional Early Voting will be available at the following locations and times:
• New Diana Cafeteria Monday, April 28—5 p.m. to 7 p.m., 11774 Hwy. 154 East Monday, May 5—6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., Diana.
• Norton Lovell Auditorium Tuesday, April 29—6 to 7:30 p.m., 11794 Hwy. 154 East, Thursday, May 1, 2014 - 6:00 pm to 7:30 p.m., Diana.
• New Diana Football Stadium, Saturday, May 3—9 a.m. to noon, 11820 Hwy. 154 East, Diana.
• Robert F. Hunt Elementary School, Tuesday, May 6, —5:30 to 7:30 p.m., 11150 Hwy. 154 West, Diana.
Additional information will be available on the New Diana ISD website at www.ndisd.org and any interested citizen with questions may contact the New Diana ISD Administration at 903-663-8000.