Back home from the Super Bowl
Feb 05, 2014 | 1538 views | 0 0 comments | 26 26 recommendations | email to a friend | print
The return trip home from New York City after Super Bowl XLVIII on Tuesday, February 4th proved to be rather eventful. I arrived home exactly 14 hours after being picked up by Super Shuttle at the Sheraton Times Square.

The return to LaGuardia Airport took only 45 minutes, compared to the 1 ½ hours it took to get to the hotel when I arrived on January 27th. Once at the airport, it took 35 minutes to check luggage and head to security and an additional 20 minutes to get to my gate. I arrived there 2 hours prior to departure of my flight, which was scheduled for a stop in St. Louis before arriving back at Dallas Love Field. Fortunately, we didn’t have to change planes there!

We were 35 minutes late leaving LaGuardia due to backup left from Monday when over 900 flights in NYC were cancelled due to an 8-inch snow storm that caused near white-out conditions at times.

Just as we were pushing back from the gate at LaGuardia, we found out that Terminal C, which was connected to Terminal B that we flew out of, was evacuated due to someone leaving a bag unattended that had smoke coming from it. We found out later that it took an hour for the all-clear for Terminal C. IF we had been going out of that terminal, we would have doubtless been delayed for about 2 hours.

We landed in St. Louis about 30 minutes late in a snowstorm. It was 26 degrees there, so everything that fell was sticking. The runway and tarmac was lightly coated with snow as we arrived. By the time we unloaded and the St. Louis passengers boarded for the flight into Dallas, snow plows were on the runway due to an increase of heavy snow. Our pilot then informed us that we were going to have to de-ice before we could depart. That took an extra 15 minutes, and we departed for Dallas 54 minutes later than scheduled.

We were 45 minutes late arriving in Dallas. It took 45 minutes to get luggage and get loaded up in my car to head back home. After getting through rush hour traffic that was still heavy at 6:30, I stopped in Terrell to grab a quick bite to eat before heading on home. I pulled in my driveway at 9:30 pm Tuesday night, thankful for an enjoyable trip and glad to be home!

Now it is time to wait for the annual NFL Draft coming up later this spring and then training camp in late August in preparation for the 2014 season. After 6 months, it is time for a well-deserved rest. I always look forward to the NFL season each year, but I’m also ready to relax a bit after the Super Bowl is over so I can recharge my batteries and get ready for another NFL season!

We hope you have enjoyed our Super Bowl coverage.
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet